Putting a Ram 1500 in neutral is a straightforward process that you can follow to prepare the vehicle for towing or other specific situations. Here’s how to do it:
Note: Make sure your vehicle is stationary and that the engine is running or in the “Run” position. Also, be aware that some vehicles may have specific instructions in their owner’s manuals, so it’s essential to consult your vehicle’s manual for model-specific guidance.
- Start the Engine: Turn the ignition key to the “Run” position, or if you have a push-button start, press the brake pedal and push the “Engine StartStop” button without pressing the brake pedal.
- Depress the Brake Pedal: While the engine is running or in the “Run” position, press and hold the brake pedal with your foot. This step is essential for safety to prevent the vehicle from moving while shifting gears.
- Shift the Transmission Lever:
- Locate the gear shifter on the center console of your Ram 1500.
- Depending on the model and transmission type, the shifter may have different configurations, but the neutral position is usually accessible without any special procedures.
- Move the gear shifter to the “N” (Neutral) position. It should be between “Drive” (D) and “Reverse” (R).
- You may need to apply a little force to move the shifter into the neutral position, but do so gently to avoid damaging the transmission.
- Release the Brake Pedal: Once the gear shifter is in the “N” position, you can release the brake pedal. The vehicle is now in neutral.
- Confirm Neutral: To verify that the vehicle is in neutral, you can gently try to roll the vehicle. It should move freely since it’s no longer in gear.
- Towing or Other Operations: You can now perform towing or other operations that require the vehicle to be in neutral.
Important Safety Tips:
- Ensure that the engine is running or in the “Run” position before shifting to neutral.
- Always engage the parking brake when the vehicle is in neutral to prevent it from rolling.
- Be cautious when shifting gears, especially if it requires additional force, to avoid damaging the transmission.
- Follow all manufacturer’s recommendations and guidelines for towing or other special operations.
Remember that shifting your vehicle into neutral should only be done when necessary, such as for towing purposes or specific vehicle maintenance. If you have any doubts or concerns about performing this action, consult your Ram 1500’s owner’s manual or contact a qualified mechanic for assistance.