Changing the blades on a Spartan mower is a routine maintenance task that helps ensure your mower continues to cut grass effectively. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to change the blades:
- New Spartan replacement blades (make sure they are compatible with your Spartan mower model)
- A socket wrench or impact wrench
- A torque wrench
- Safety gloves
- Safety glasses
- Safety Precautions:
- Before you start, make sure the mower is turned off, the ignition key is removed, and the spark plug wire is disconnected to prevent accidental starting. Engage the parking brake to keep the mower in place.
- Prepare Your Workspace:
- Park the Spartan mower on a flat and level surface where you can easily access the mower deck. Ensure the engine is cool to the touch.
- Raise the Mower Deck:
- Use the mower deck lift lever or hydraulic lift system to raise the mower deck to its highest position. This provides better access to the blades.
- Locate the Blade Nuts:
- Under the mower deck, locate the nuts that secure the blades to the spindle shafts. Spartan mowers typically have multiple blades.
- Remove the Old Blades:
- Using a socket wrench or impact wrench, carefully loosen and remove the blade nuts from the spindle shafts. Keep the old blade, blade nut, and any washers for reference.
- Install the New Blades:
- Place the new Spartan replacement blades onto the spindle shafts, making sure they are oriented correctly. The curved side of the blade should be facing upwards.
- Secure the Blades:
- Thread the blade nuts back onto the spindle shafts and hand-tighten them initially.
- Torque the Blade Nuts:
- Use a torque wrench to tighten the blade nuts to the manufacturer’s recommended torque specification. Refer to your mower’s manual for the exact torque value, as it may vary depending on the blade type.
- Double-Check Tightness:
- After torquing the nuts, double-check that all the blade nuts are securely tightened.
- Lower the Mower Deck:
- Lower the mower deck to your desired cutting height using the deck lift lever or hydraulic controls.
- Reconnect the Spark Plug:
- Reconnect the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
- Test the Blades:
- Start the mower and engage the blades to ensure they are spinning smoothly and without any unusual vibrations or noise.
- Dispose of Old Blades:
- Properly dispose of the old blades according to local regulations. They can be taken to a recycling or waste disposal center.
Changing the blades on your Spartan mower should be done regularly to maintain cutting performance and ensure a clean, even cut. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety precautions outlined in your mower’s manual during this process.