Carrying an extra helmet on a motorcycle can be necessary when you have a passenger or want to have a spare helmet for emergencies. Here’s how to securely carry an extra helmet on a motorcycle:
- Extra helmet
- Helmet lock or helmet holder (optional)
- Bungee cords or straps
- Motorcycle with suitable storage space
- Select a Suitable Location: Determine where on your motorcycle you want to carry the extra helmet. Common options include the passenger seat, rear luggage rack, or side panniers if your motorcycle has them.
- Use a Helmet Lock or Holder (Optional): Some motorcycles come equipped with built-in helmet locks or holders. If your motorcycle has one, use it to secure the extra helmet. Follow your motorcycle’s owner’s manual for instructions on how to use the lock or holder.
- Prepare the Extra Helmet: Ensure the extra helmet is securely fastened and properly adjusted. The chinstrap should be securely latched, and the helmet should not wobble or move inside the carrying location.
- Attach Bungee Cords or Straps: If you’re not using a built-in lock or holder, use bungee cords or straps to secure the helmet in place. Pass the cords or straps through the helmet’s D-rings (located on the chinstrap) or other secure points on the helmet.
- Secure the Helmet: Fasten the bungee cords or straps to the designated mounting points on your motorcycle. Make sure the helmet is held tightly in place and won’t move or fall off during your ride.
- Test for Stability: Before you start your ride, gently tug on the helmet to ensure it’s securely fastened and won’t come loose during your journey.
- Ride Safely: While riding, be aware of the extra helmet’s location on your motorcycle. Ensure it doesn’t interfere with your ability to control the motorcycle or your view of the road.
- Plan Stops Wisely: If you need to access the extra helmet while riding, plan stops at safe locations, such as traffic lights, stop signs, or designated rest areas.
- Secure the Helmet After Stops: After making stops during your ride, check to ensure that the extra helmet is still securely fastened and hasn’t shifted.
- Enjoy Your Ride: Carrying an extra helmet on your motorcycle can provide peace of mind and convenience when riding with a passenger or as a backup in case of emergencies. Prioritize safety and enjoy your ride.
Remember that securing the extra helmet properly is essential to ensure it doesn’t become a hazard during your ride. Follow these steps, and always focus on the road and safe riding practices.